The appearance of food allergies can occur at any time and on completely different products. It is especially offensive when there is an allergy to garlic, which is rightfully considered a fighter against antiviral and antibacterial infection.
Allergic symptoms when eating garlic occur quite rarely. They can cause apelin (diallyl disulfide) contained in this vegetable. Any kind of garlic: powder, whole, additives in various seasonings and even a specific smell, at the slightest ingestion of a person can cause a strong toxic reaction.
Causes of the disease
The main reason for the development of allergies is an erroneous perception of the product protein (alliinase) by the immune system. It perceives it as foreign and releases antibodies into the blood that try to suppress the “harmful” effect.
Negative perceptions can be exacerbated by the presence of chemicals. They usually get into garlic with fertilizers that were sprayed on the plant during growth.
Also, an important role belongs to the genetic predisposition to various types of diseases.
Garlic allergy symptoms
If there is a chance that there will be an Allergy to garlic, how hypersensitivity manifests, you should be sure to know and be able to recognize it in time. The response may develop rapidly and occur in an acute form, or it may be of a delayed-type when symptoms appear a day after consuming the product. In General, this form does not have significant complications and can be quickly treated.
Histamine release during an allergic reaction can cause the following symptoms:
- the skin may become covered with rashes, watery blisters, and reddening. Besides, there may be severe itching;
- Allergy to garlic is usually accompanied by allergic rhinitis with the release of copious mucus and a stuffy nose. This is due to the swelling of the sinuses, which interferes with normal activity;
- there are frequent sneezing and lacrimation, coughing, accompanied by a sore throat;
- as a rule, the patient’s lips and tongue swell. Face pasty (edematous), eyelids due to edema, cover the eyes;
- the most dangerous symptoms are those that cause respiratory problems. These include Quincke’s edema and anaphylactic shock.
These conditions threaten the patient’s life, so if such symptoms develop, it is necessary to provide urgent assistance to the patient. Before the arrival of doctors, you can give a tablet of any antihistamine action (erius, suprastin, tavegil, etc.).
Signs of a complicated reaction: food allergy icd 10
Complications that occur in the acute form of an allergic reaction are characterized by the following symptoms:
- General clinical picture
- a sharp decrease in blood pressure;
- possible loss of consciousness;
- redness of the skin and the appearance of a rash;
- significant swelling of the face and neck, sometimes of the limbs;
- edema of the respiratory tract, which may result in attacks of suffocation.
All these signs are a manifestation of anaphylactic shock, and they carry a huge danger to the life of an allergic person.
IMPORTANT! THE APPEARANCE OF SEVERE SWELLING OF THE FACE AND NECK (QUINCKE’S EDEMA) IS USUALLY ONE OF THE SYMPTOMS OF ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK.
Features of treatment of urticaria in infants. Icd 10 food allergy
If an allergic disease occurs in infants, you should take special responsibility for the treatment. It is mandatory to consult a doctor.
To cure urticaria in infants, it is recommended to use Bepanten ointment, which effectively relieves skin irritation and eliminates itching in a short time. It is also possible to wash babies with a decoction of pharmacy chamomile in the morning and the evening before going to bed.
What can cause an Allergy, how to detect an allergen-food safe allergy test
Allergies can be caused by the ingestion of garlic itself, as well as the contact of its juice with the skin and even flavors. Since garlic is a food product, it is quite difficult to determine what exactly it causes a response. Therefore, the correct solution is to contact an allergist.
Blood test for allergen After collecting an allergology analysis, the doctor will prescribe certain tests. In addition to a general blood and urine test, you will need to diagnose using one of these methods:
- skin tests-allow you to confirm or deny the presence of allergies to the substance;
- determination of immunoglobulins to allergenic compounds-allows you to accurately determine the allergen and determine the level of allergenicity.
Allergic to garlic: Tips for prevention
If you have a hypersensitivity to garlic, to protect yourself from allergies, you need to follow simple rules:
- Not to contact with an allergenic substance not to eat garlic, make sure that the skin does not have contact with the plant SAP, do not breathe fumes meals with garlic.
- You need to thoroughly wash the dishes, as well as ventilate the room where the dish with garlic was prepared.
- When buying products, you should carefully study the composition, especially for spices, to make sure that there is no allergen.
- Allergy sufferers are also not recommended to eat onions.
- The use of garlic is possible in small quantities and after prolonged heat treatment if the Allergy is mild.
Allergy to garlic: Garlic against allergies-is it possible, does it cure?
When there is an allergic reaction to any product, many turn to folk methods. One of these is treatment with garlic. Therefore, Allergy sufferers ask the question, can garlic be used for allergies? If there is no hypersensitivity to garlic, then you can conduct such therapy. It consists in the fact that crushed garlic clove is mixed with one tablespoon of water, and consumed after meals in the morning, lunch and evening. This method allows you to effectively get rid of the symptoms of an allergic reaction.
Garlic is undoubtedly a useful product. But along with its good qualities, there are also negative ones. These include, for example, hypersensitivity. The reaction occurs every time after taking garlic and is characterized by symptoms from the respiratory, digestive system and skin. Allergies require proper diagnosis and treatment, and the sooner measures are taken, the less harm this disease will have on the human body.