Scoliosis is an irreversible deformity of the spine that can cause disability without treatment. There is no way to correct the curvature, but every person can stop the progress of the disease.
Therapeutic physical education is primary in all therapeutic schemes. The technique is considered a reference due to the combination of functional rehabilitation and strengthening of the back muscles. A comprehensive program for improving the body called “Pilates” meets all the criteria for physical therapy. Exercises to strengthen the main back muscles improve posture, form normal muscle mass without increasing volume, and develop flexibility. If the load is correctly composed and there are no contraindications, Pilates will help keep scoliosis under control.
Symptoms of scoliosis
In the initial stages, the pathology is asymptomatic, so you should pay attention to the following signs: one shoulder is higher than the other; when a child stands, hands on the sides, the distance between the hand and waist varies from two sides; the vanes are arranged asymmetrically on the concave side of the blade is closer to the spine, corner bulges; when tilted anteriorly becomes noticeable curvature of the spine.
Scoliosis degrees of curvature chart
- Scoliotic curvature of the spine of the 1st degree is hardly noticeable.
You can recognize the presence of scoliosis of the first degree by the following signs:
- The curvature of the vertebral column along the lateral line (the angle of deviation is no more than 5-10 degrees);
- straightening the spine in a horizontal position, slightly twisting the spine around its axis in a vertical position;
- asymmetry of the shoulder blades or waist with curvature in the thoracic and lumbar regions, respectively.
To diagnose scoliosis of the 1st degree, you can ask a person to take a vertical position of the body, lean forward and freely lower his hands or lie down on a flat hard surface.
Scoliosis may be accompanied by a curvature of the spine in a different plane and, if there is one, the orthopedist will detect it during the diagnosis process.
- Scoliosis 2 degrees is easier to detect at home because the curvature becomes noticeable in the standing position.
The following signs indicate the presence of scoliosis of the 2nd degree:
- there is a violation of posture;
- on the one hand, the muscles are more pronounced than on the other (this can be detected by visual inspection and probing);
- the asymmetry of the body becomes obvious;
- when leaning forward, the “rib hump” is clearly drawn in the area of the upper vertebrae»;
- the height of the blades often differs.
If you consult a doctor at this stage of scoliosis, an x-ray will show a deviation of the vertebral column up to 25 degrees. It is important to start treatment as soon as possible, because during this period, the chest begins to actively deform.
- You can recognize the 3rd degree of scoliosis by:
- severe pain that occurs when the body moves;
- limited mobility and stiffness;
- the adoption of unnatural postures;
- visible changes in the spine;
- asymmetries of shoulder blades and shoulders.
3 degrees of lateral curvature has a well-distinguishable displacement of the spine to the side Often with scoliosis of the 3rd degree, the nerve roots of the spinal cord are pinched, which contributes to the appearance of the following symptoms:
- problems in the work of internal organs;
- increasing pain when moving the body;
- loss of sensitivity of certain parts of the body;
- tingling or numbness in the upper or lower extremities;
- depression and other disorders of the nervous system.
These signs of scoliosis can be found at home. Diagnosis of scoliosis in the doctor’s office involves carrying out:
- magnetic resonance or computed tomography of the spine.
- Scoliosis of the 4th degree is characterized by the presence of a pronounced curvature of the spine, with the angle of curvature of 50 or more degrees. This is the most advanced stage of scoliosis.
The spine in this pathology resembles the letter ” S “(if there are two bending arcs) or the letter” Z ” (if there are three bending arcs). Since the curvature changes the slope of the torso, the patient’s body becomes asymmetric. As a rule, the bend begins at the top and ends at the bottom of the thoracic section.
Because of this, the chest is deformed and looks distorted. On the one hand, the area of the shoulder blades increases, on the other-the hepatic region protrudes. Violation of the symmetry of the body leads to the formation of a hump.
At the last stage of scoliosis, the spine acquires an S-shape. in scoliosis of the 4th degree, internal organs are displaced. If they are compressed, the patient is faced with:
- intestinal problems;
- blood pressure spikes;
- numbness of the limbs;
- the inability to stay upright for a long time.
It is not difficult to detect these symptoms, so the diagnosis of scoliosis of the 4th degree is not difficult even at home. In most cases, grade 4 scoliosis is found in adult patients with a formed skeleton.
How to know if you have scoliosis? Scoliosis testing
Test — what kind of scoliosis and whether there is this disease can be found at home if you conduct a special test yourself in an adult or child. It is necessary to stand in front of the mirror with your back to the wall-the heels, buttocks, back of the head and shoulders should touch it. The presence of the disease will be indicated:
- The shoulders are at different heights.
- Different arm lengths.
- One of the shoulder blades protrudes more strongly.
- The ears are located asymmetrically.
- When leaning forward, the curvature of the back is noticeable
The presence of even one of these conditions is a reason to consult a doctor for detailed diagnosis. Early detection of the disease will help avoid serious consequences.
Pilates for scoliosis: features and benefits
Scoliosis alternative treatment. The complex of exercises combines elements of fitness and yoga. But a softer and smoother effect on the body eliminates injuries, moreover, it helps to relieve muscle tension and pain. Therefore, Pilates classes are recommended for people with an established diagnosis of scoliosis of 1 and 2 degrees. In the later stages of the disease progression, exercises are not prohibited but are carried out only with the approval of the attending physician and according to an individual program.
When contacting the fitness Studio, it is advisable to show the instructor an extract from the medical history and report related diseases. This will help make Pilates as useful as possible. But even if there is no desire or opportunity to report your health status, the first used pilates reformer shows what load is optimal for a person.
What is reformer pilates? see this article: https://healthlifevs.com/6-types-of-pilates-and-why-the-differences-matter/
In the supine position, all the signs of scoliosis appear: one shoulder is higher than the other, the pelvis and neck are shifted to the side. An experienced coach will be able to recognize even a long-standing injury many years ago, which the person himself has safely forgotten.
After a few sessions of Pilates, you will see a tangible and visible result:
- blood circulation will improve, which will immediately affect the overall health;
- the muscles will become soft, elastic and flexible;
- your back will strengthen significantly and your posture will improve;
- sleep will be strong and healthy;
- natural mobility will appear in the joints.
Pilates will not be able to cure scoliosis, like any other medical or physiological method. But exercise will positively affect the symptoms and course of the disease, slow down or completely exclude its development.
Scoliosis exercises to avoid. Pilates exercises for scoliosis
Pilates practice allows you to completely change your posture and instill useful habits. Walking, sitting, carrying weights, even sleeping in the correct position is the best prevention of scoliosis. Best exercises for scoliosis of the complex for the back are considered to be:
Body saw exercise
Pilates double leg stretch
Corkscrew pilates. Corkscrew exercise
FootWork exercise for the foot on the pilate reformer workouts
You should be careful about turning and twisting exercises, as well as all sorts of plans. For each case, they need to be modified and simplified in order to reduce the load on the vertebrae, but at the same time to qualitatively work out the supporting muscles of the support apparatus.
10 Best Exercises for scoliosis – Ask Doctor Jo
Under the supervision of an experienced coach, Pilates classes become multifunctional: treatment of scoliosis, elimination of the effects of stress, normalization of weight, development of flexibility and smooth posture. Exercises bring real pleasure because a positive result is reflected in both internal health and appearance.